Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 18

“...A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival...(Here be Dragons)” 
― Sharon Kay Penman


I do repeat imagery in my work but I think it happens in cycles...it is not a consecutive repetition unless you view it from a further distance.
The tree/root theme seems to have happened naturally, without provocation, at transitional phases of my life. 

Transitions brought about by choice or thrust upon me,
either way, finding my roots...usually through art... brought me through to the other side of the transition with a clear destination in mind and a deeper appreciation for life as it happens NOW. 
Detail Branching Out (2000-ish©Sheila L. Kalkbrenner

Recently I have had to keep reminding myself to continue to live in the moment as it happens. This is what is happening right now. Too much focus on "the end of this" or "the beginning of that" makes me miss out on so much that is right in front of me.
I used to say, "If I can just get through this THEN I will do, live, be _____." 
Now I make an effort to approach things more as a, "WHILE I am getting through this I will be, live, and do____."

Comfort Zone 1996   ©Sheila L. Kalkbrenner
Detail from All Things 2008©Sheila L. Kalkbrenner
 Until addressing the questions asked in the Root:30 Day Journal Project today, I never really thought about it this way. Apparently the theme repeats even farther back than Roots 1996 . I just don't have those drawings anymore. I am pretty sure one of the paintings, not posted here, from around 1990-91 is still hanging on the wall at my Grandmother's house.

I suppose that explains why the theme and concept of doing this project was so appealing to me. I didn't even think twice about clicking the registration button. It is truly a transitional time worthy of renewing my roots. 


"Art is the tree of life." ~William Blake said that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment