Thursday, September 12, 2013

Day 12 Talking Points

$16.99 Buy and Print or
Buy The Inverted Digital Image of this colored pencil drawing

It is my understanding that Mandalas/Yantras are intended as a means to individual enlightenment. I am learning that used in the context of "one a day for thirty days" this can become a pretty intense experience. At some point the journey inward becomes exposed to outside influences and the demands of the outside world. Remaining perpetually introverted, excluding all external input seems impossible...especially when a portion of the process involves a commitment to share that inward journey with the outside world.
Feeling invaded by outside forces today...somehow even managed to burn the rice I was making for my dog. (He has food allergies. No dog food for him.)

"It is what it is"  There are days when that phrase brings comfort and acceptance but the majority of the time seeing it or hearing it just makes me think too much. There is too much room for perception and perspective to interfere with acceptance. It forces me to ask, well, "What IS it, anyway?" How can it be what it is if you think it is something that it is NOT? How do you KNOW what it is? Once you define it, clarify it, accept it...what IF what it IS, is not to your liking? Then, how do you make it what you want it to be? Or do you just decide to let go of it because it will never be anything other than what it IS and you realize that what it IS is not a circumstance or condition that you want? Then of course you are faced with the duality of acceptance and opposition. Is "acceptance" the same thing as "giving up"?  When you choose to accept what it IS, is it a problem if this leaves you feeling defeated instead of relieved? I have a fighting nature but really all I want is peace...and maybe an awesome cup of coffee that doesn't induce anxiety.
Do you see my conundrum? 

According to Fincher, "The upward-pointing triangle in mandalas often announces the appearance of something new...a burst of creativity...Triangles pointing downward seem to indicate ideas that are being released from consciousness...Triangles are direction indicators in mandalas...they may point toward the center or away as well...outward=need for self-protection, inward=may reveal aggression against oneself...consider other objects to which the triangles seem to point...it may be your unconscious telling you to pay attention to something specific. Associations to the symbol emphasized by the triangle may help you know what has true value for you...The triangles in your mandalas introduce change and direct your attention to the timeless balance of rising and falling energies. Triangles can point you toward your soul's connection deep within the heart."  
She does not really explain what it means when your triangles are pointing at each other. Perhaps it means that my lack of a decision or true direction ...or the sensation of trying to go in all directions at once; is the aspect which has true value to me right now... Anyway, she does emphasize that additional clarity can be gained by determining your own associations with the colors that you have assigned to these triangles. 

There is a section of her book which discuss the "Great Round." Here she explains how personal developmental cycles and stages are shown in the series of imagery in multiple mandalas created by one person over an extended period of time. It is evident that these cycles repeat themselves throughout the lifetime of the individual. 

As I flipped through the pages I noticed that the "star" is the prominent element of stage eight. Although several phrases jumped out at me, I pushed myself to close the book so that I would not jump ahead or be unduly influenced by information presented here about certain imagery and symbolism. For me, the most effective, authentic use of this book will be to visit this section when I have completed the series of 30 drawings. There is the potential for significant self-discovery regarding my personal cycles of development within a 30 day period. I am interested to find out how often they repeat themselves in that short time and to clarify, for myself, how my coping skills have changed over my life-time so far. What do I do differently to address the same phase? Which aspects do I still handle in the same way. Is it effective?

No comments:

Post a Comment