Sunday, April 13, 2014

Moving Into Mid-April

Day 1 of the 15 Day Writing Challenge at Own Your Own Creativity with Elizabeth Johnston

 Reading Is Fundamental
Reading inspires me with its power to confront my preconceived notions and validate my convictions. It broadens my perspective by giving me insight into the viewpoint of others. Reading inspires my language, vocabulary, a visual voice.

The thing I love most about reading is that it allows me to travel outside of the boundaries of my own limitations and expands my hopes to change them.


My earliest memory of reading is of my Mother reading Johnny Crow’s Garden by Leonard Leslie Brooke. It was my older sister’s favorite story. This is accompanied by memories of our babysitter giving a dramatic reading of the The Wonderful Tar Baby Story by Uncle Remus.  

I was an Army brat and we moved around lot!  Our book of Fairy Tales was one of the first things we unpacked at our “new” house.  I would choose Rapunzel and my sister would choose Why the Sea is Salt. We would read both and then meet in the middle with The Adventures of Pinnochio.  My first chapter book, TheLittle Leftover Witch, by Florence Laughlin healed the damage caused by being the new kid subjected to Round Robin Reading on my first day of classes. I have been an avid reader ever since. © Sheila L. Kalkbrenner

30.30.30 April 2014 continues at SheilaLynnK Art Studio. My Saturday April 12th creative activity involved making a video of my Grandson's 4th Birthday adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment