Friday, January 9, 2015

Out with the Old in with the New

Getting my house and studio in order... 

 A new order is coming...
Some people can create in the midst of organized chaos. Some even do their best work in such an environment. I am NOT one of those people. My physical surroundings frequently reflect my internal sense of order and vice-versa... 
Like many artists, for most of my life, I have felt that I must have all of my "real" work done before I make art. 

Although I am increasingly viewing my art as my "real" work, this lifetime of conditioning still gets in the way. 
By necessity, this is a live/work environment. Often, I am able to subconsciously construct a scotoma to some messy aspects of living in order to do my art in the time that it needs to be done but, there is a tipping point in which all I am able to see is the OTHER WORK that needs to be done BEFORE I can feel free enough to do the art. That is where I am at right now. The art I try to make in this state ends up being forced and contrived without inspiration or movement...lifeless.

What am I doing to "get my house in order"?

Managing the tangible:
I am vamping up my efforts to create space in this environment which is  ONLY for my studio work. This is a physical way to more effectively compartmentalize as I would have done when my source of income and my domestic responsibilities were not so closely intertwined. Working from home makes this a much-needed, too often neglected, exercise. Towards the end of 2014 I lost sight of my goals to simplify my life. Although I am technically an empty-nester, I returned to an old favorite, Simplify Your Life with Kids, to remind myself how I was doing this. Some other useful tips specific to studio organization:
Art Tip: Organizing my living room/studio
Organizing the Art Studio at Live Simply with Annie
11 Things You Need to Know About Organizing in a Small Space


Feeding my spirit:
Bringing Ancient Wisdom into my Modern Life with Anne Hayman
Nurturing My Inner Warrior with Susan Jenkins
Exploring the ways of Wise Women with Susun Weed
Remembering how to allow my Creativity to FLOW with Lisa Sonora and sharing these 30 Day Journal discoveries with Arachnoiditis Survivors via Healing Art Activities at the Art For Arachnoiditis Project. 
Connecting with Community:

Planning 
Our local SWAN Day 2015 party March 21, 2015 RSVP by February 20, 2015 
and 
The FIRST Public Art For Arachnoiditis Project Exhibit Opening Reception and Workshop April 18, 2015. Registration Deadline: March 20, 2015.Registration Fee $15

Introducing B-Arter Bucks to keep art affordable and promote creative community action. 
You can earn B-Arter Bucks RIGHT NOW by becoming a blog follower, signing up for SWAN Day activities locally or in your own community, and/or participating in the Art For Arachnoiditis Project. 
  Revising the Moolah Map:
Planning and scheduling resources by revisiting the Moolah Map I created last year around this time during the Right Brain Business Plan E-course with Jennifer Lee.

Seeking Funding for the Art For Arachnoiditis Project via the New York Foundation For the Arts and other grant opportunities, crowdfunding options, and merchandise sales

Making More Art:
Technical difficulties with video stalled the work on the Arachnoiditis Survivor Portrait for Melanie Lamb right before Christmas.  Video capabilities are at a stand still. I had truly hoped to finish it in time for the holidays but, it just was beyond my capabilities. The Drawing will continue with digital photos to document progress until these issues can be resolved. 

Karen Kovacik Early is an arachnoiditis survivor and the next recipient of Arachnoiditis Survivor: A Portrait of Resilience Against Patient Harm In America.

Survivors are invited to sign up to participate in the Art For Arachnoiditis Project. Call For Entries Ends February 15, 2015. 



No comments:

Post a Comment