Monday, March 8, 2021

FOURTEEN Years; Coping Tools for Helpers and Survivors

 


So much gratitude for where I am now and the supportive people who have been here for this journey! 

Fourteen years ago today, with inadequate information about the risks involved; I consented to spinal anesthesia for a "routine" knee arthroscopy to repair a torn meniscus, a minor injury that occurred while playing basketball with my students. Spinal adhesive arachnoiditis was the eventual result.




In honor of the weight of all that I have learned & experienced and the New Paths I have discovered in the years since this preventable permanent injury; I am sharing this link to bits and pieces of my story that helped me define,  "How to Help an Arachnoiditis Survivor" (from a 2015 post at the Art For Arachnoiditis Project website I created for fellow survivors.)

...Some of these coping tools are likely useful for care providers and survivors of other injuries and chronic conditions, too. 

I hope these discoveries are helpful to others.

As always, please consult your trusted practitioner prior to making any changes to your treatment plan. 

Image Credit: The above digital collage is from the "Arachnoiditis In Real Life" digital photo series of survivors that was displayed in the first public exhibit of the Art For Arachnoiditis project to promote awareness and prevention. You can browse that collection here. 

Browse all four years of the project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment